I'm usually not a fan of these posts, but I felt that doing some reflection would be therapeutic for me. Fair Warning: this post is probably going to be very self-indulgent.
Some regrets and sadness in 2012:
- I regret not giving more talks, although life definitely got in the way
- I wanted to see Robert Martin talk since he was in the area, but missed it
- My co-worker Conrad shipped off to Atlanta! There are special people in life that teach you things from another perspective and Conrad is definitely one of them.
- Election Season wasn't nearly as exciting as I had hoped (the primaries sucked out all the energy).
Now for this year's docket. In 2013:
- I will attend SunshinePHP, my first large conference right here in South Florida!
- I really want to go to PHPTek13 in Chicago, which will hopefully be a watershed moment
- Take the Zend Certification Exam for PHP 5.3
- I am giving a presentation about Nginx and Memcache at my local PHP user group
- Spend more time playing Minecraft with my soon to be 4 year-old son. Seriously this is the best.
- Play less games. My Steam collection is about 142 games and growing and I'm not even counting other sources of games. I must have put hundreds of hours into games this year.
- Write more blog posts. In 2012, I only wrote something like 5 blog posts compared to around 22 for 2011.
- Finish more software! (https://github.com/jblotus) Seriously I start something like 1 project per week, and usually throw code in it for a day and abandon it. Truthfully I usually do this to play with new libraries and such but it would be nice to actually release something.
So that's all I can think about right now. Here's to the new year! Thanks for reading.